When Christopher Columbus called the Dominican Republic “the most beautiful land on earth,” he probably didn’t realize that it would one day be one of the most popular tourist destinations in the Caribbean. When planning your vacation to the Dominican Republic, make sure to include a stop in Punta Cana.
Located on the southeastern coast of the Dominican Republic, Punta Cana is a nature lover’s paradise. With twenty miles of unspoiled, white sandy beaches lined with swaying coconut palms, Punta Cana offers vacationers relaxing days and fun-filled nights.
The Climate in Punta Cana
The climate in Punta Cana is temperate, offering vacationers an average year-round temperature of 77° F. While there isn’t a bad time to vacation in Punta Cana, many people believe the best time to visit is between November and April, which people consider the cool season. During this time period, the humidity is relatively low, and you will be unlikely to experience any rainfall. May to October is known as the hot and rainy season in Punta Cana. During this time, the average daily temperature reaches 87° F and the humidity level is high.
Hurricane season lasts from June to November in Punta Cana, with August and September being the peak hurricane months. People planning to vacation in Punta Cana will want to avoid hurricane season, as the area has been hit hard by hurricanes in the past. El Nino and La Nina, weather phenomena that can cause shifts in normal weather patterns, can also impact the climate in Punta Cana.
Punta Cana Beaches
With an average water temperature of 74 °F and warm tropical breezes, the calm, tranquil Punta Cana beaches are perfect for everyone. Sunbathers will enjoy reclining on the sandy, white beaches and water sport enthusiasts will enjoy Punta Cana’s many water activities, which include:
- wind surfing
Punta Cana beaches are mainly shallow, offering visitors several natural marine pools for bathing.
Punta Cana Attractions
While many people visit Punta Cana for the beaches and resorts, don’t think that the only thing you can do on a Punta Cana vacation is lounge on the beach. Punta Cana visitors can take in a variety of attractions.
Here’s a list of some of the more popular Punta Cana attractions visitors enjoy:
- Golfing: Most of the resorts in Punta Cana feature well-maintained golf courses. The P.B. Dye golf course, for example, has been likened to a Matisse sculpture, due to its voluptuous lines. The course offers ocean views from 14 holes. Greens fees are $70 per person, which includes golf cart rental.
- Helicopter Tours: A popular activity for Punta Cana visitors is sightseeing in a helicopter. Taking a helicopter excursion over Punta Cana provides vacationers with breathtaking views of the island. As you fly over the turquoise waters of the Punta Cana beaches, your tour guide will provide you information on the historical and geographical background of the area. Helicopter tours typically last ten to twenty minutes and cost between $45 and $80.
- The Manatee Park: The Manatee Park is a sanctuary for rare animals. It offers Punta Cana visitors an exciting educational and cultural experience. What began as a conservation and research project has now grown into a popular Punta Cana tourist attraction. Visitors can watch dolphin, sea lion, parrot and horse shows. They can also see a recreated traditional Taino village.
Although the Manatee Park offers visitors many exciting opportunities, the most exciting activity would have to be the opportunity to swim with playful dolphins. Visitors to the park can, under the supervision of an experienced trainer, swim with the dolphins in 20-minute sessions.
- Snorkeling: Most of the Punta Cana resorts organize snorkeling excursions throughout the day. These excursions offer you the opportunity to view a colorful assortment of aquatic life. Although the prices and session times of snorkeling excursions vary by resort, a 90-minute snorkel excursion will usually cost about $15.
- Sunset Cruises: Some Punta Cana resorts offer sunset cruises to their guests. These cruises offer tourists the opportunity to unwind on a boat while drinking cocktails and enjoying a beautiful sunset.
- Safari Tours: While vacationing on Punta Cana, you can participate in a guided safari tour organized specifically for visitors. Safaris typically visit several villages, where you can sample the exotic fruits and sip coffee made from local beans.
Reaching Punta CanaSeveral airlines offer direct flights to Punta Cana from a number of major cities throughout the world, including:
- Buenos Aries
- New York
There are also daily flights from Punta Cana to several domestic and regional Caribbean airports.
Most hotels in Punta Cana are located within a 30- minute drive from the airport.
Another great destination in the Dominican Republic is Puerto Plata. This resort destinations is surrounded by moutain rain forest and the most beautiful water which is clear as can be.